The Malinda A. Markham Translation Prize
This translation prize honors the life and work of award-winning poet and translator Malinda A. Markham. The award is generously funded by Jennifer S. Epstein.
Information you need to know:
$2000 and publication by Saturnalia Books
- Manuscript must be a translation by a female translator of a female poet. Female is interpreted as anyone who identifies as female, including AFAB nonbinary, genderfluid, agender, and intersex.
- Manuscript must be an original collection of poetry from one author in any language translated into English. This includes single collections as well as selected works. In the case of a selected collection, please ensure that one does not already exist in English.
- Manuscript must be a length of 48-120 pages of translated poems (not including foreword material).
- While you are welcome to include the original poems in your submission, only the English translations will be considered during the awards process. We guarantee publication of an English-only version, but will work with the winner to determine if a bilingual edition is a better fit.
- The name of the original poet must be included on cover page.
- The translator’s name must not appear in the manuscript, including any front material.
- More than one translator is acceptable, so long as all translators identify as female, including AFAB nonbinary, genderfluid, agender, and intersex.
- Manuscript must include an acknowledgments page, if applicable.
- Do not include a foreword or afterword at this time. The winner will have the opportunity to work with Saturnalia Books’ editors on this material during the editing process.
- Online fee is $25. No refunds will be given to any withdrawn manuscripts.
- Translator must have written permission from either the original poet or their estate, unless the original work is in the public domain.
- Contest winner will be announced on the Saturnalia Books website and via email. Please do not contact Saturnalia Books regarding your submission status before January 1.
- By submitting to the contest, you agree to be added to Saturnalia Books’ email list.
- Submissions will only be accepted electronically.
- The winning manuscript will be chosen by Saturnalia Books’ editors. Saturnalia Books editors’ also reserve the right not to select a manuscript.
- The Malinda A. Markham Translation Prize submission window has been extended through November 5, 2002.