The Malinda A. Markham Memorial Prize in Translation
This translation prize honors the life and work of award-winning poet and translator Malinda A. Markham. The award is generously funded by Jennifer S. Epstein.
Information you need to know:
$2000 and publication by Saturnalia Books
- Manuscript must be a translation by a female translator of a female poet. Female is interpreted as anyone who identifies as female.
- Manuscript must be an original collection of poetry from one author in any language translated into English.
- Manuscript must be at least 48 pages in length (not including foreword material).
- The translator’s name must not appear in the manuscript, including any front material.
- Manuscript must include an acknowledgments page.
- Online fee is $25. No refunds will be given to any withdrawn manuscripts.
- Translator must have written permission from either the original poet or their estate.
- Contest winner will be announced on the Saturnalia Books website and via email. Please do not contact Saturnalia Books regarding your submission status before January 1.
- By submitting to the contest, you agree to be added to Saturnalia Books’ email list.
- Submissions will only be accepted electronically.
- The winning manuscript will be chosen by Saturnalia Books’ editors. Saturnalia Books editors’ also reserve the right not to select a manuscript.
- Submissions will be accepted annually from September 25-October 31.